On completion of this element, candidates should be able to demonstrate understanding of the content through the application of knowledge to familiar and unfamiliar situations. In particular they should be able to:
• Describe the general principles of control and a basic hierarchy of risk reduction measures that encompass technical, behavioural and procedural controls
• Describe what factors should be considered when developing and implementing a safe system of work for general work activities and explain the key elements of a safe system applied to the particular situations of working in confined spaces and lone working
• Explain the role and function of a permit-to-work system
• Explain the need for emergency procedures and the arrangements for contacting emergency services
• Describe the requirements for, and effective provision of, first aid in the workplace.