On completion of this element, candidates should be able to demonstrate understanding of the content through the application of knowledge to familiar and unfamiliar situations. In particular they should be able to:
• Recognise the forms of, and classification of, substances hazardous to health
• Explain the factors to be considered when undertaking a preliminary assessment of the health risks from substances commonly encountered in the workplace
• Describe the use and limitations of Workplace Exposure Limits including the purpose of long term and short term exposure limits
• Distinguish between acute and chronic health effects
• Outline control measures that should be used to reduce the risk of ill-health from exposure to hazardous substances
• Outline the basic requirements related to disposal of waste and effluent (and the control of atmospheric pollution).