On completion of this element, candidates should be able to demonstrate understanding of the content through the application of knowledge to familiar and unfamiliar situations. In particular they should be able to:
• Describe the concept of health and safety culture and its significance in the management of health and safety in an organisation
• Identify indicators which could be used to assess the effectiveness of an organisation’s health and safety culture and recognise factors that could cause a deterioration
• Identify the factors which influence safety related behaviour at work
• Identify methods which could be used to improve the health and safety culture of an organisation
• Outline the internal and external influences on an organisation’s health and safety standards.