On completion of this element, candidates should be able to demonstrate understanding of the content through the application of knowledge to familiar and unfamiliar situations. In particular they should be able to:
• Outline the scope and nature of occupational health and safety
• Explain briefly the moral, legal and financial reasons for promoting good standards of health and safety
• Outline the legal framework for the regulation of health and safety
• Describe the roles and powers of enforcement agencies, the judiciary and external agencies
• Identify the nature and key sources of health and safety information
• Outline the key elements of a health and safety management system.