On completion of this element, candidates should be able to demonstrate understanding of the content through the application of knowledge to familiar and unfamiliar situations. In particular they should be able to:
• Identify fire hazards and evaluate main fire risks in a workplace
• Explain the basic principles of fire prevention and the prevention of fire spread in buildings
• Identify the appropriate fire alarm system and fire-fighting equipment for a simple workplace
• Outline the requirements for an adequate and properly maintained means of escape for a simple workplace
• Outline the factors which should be considered when implementing a successful evacuation of a workplace in the event of a fire.